Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Floods of 08 - Monday night

Once Boyd got home from work we headed out to the local Fareway store. I know Boyd had stopped for the essentials but they had a great sale and we needed some fresh meat.

So we headed out and were shocked to see the water getting close to the edge of Horton Road. We got to 5th Ave NW and it was blocked off, the water was over most of the park and edging past 4th Ave NW. We made the mistake of skirting up 2nd St NW. It was so full of people helping to sandbag and the gawkers. The water was halfway up the avenues and getting to the edge of St. Pauls church.

We made it to Fareway and were shocked to find the store still open and very few sandbags out. It also wasn't too busy so I made a quick trip through the store.

From there we headed over to the East side, the river looked to be 2 feet from the top of the dam. 1st St NE was closed and City Hall looked like it was in a lake. We headed towards Cedar Lane and I hopped out to take pics. Of course the good camera still uses film so I'll have to wait a bit for those pics. Anyway I barely walked around the first corner and there was the river. I expanded out the zoom and as far as I could see the river was across the road.

Then I asked Boyd to head to the Green Bridge, it is usually so high above the river. I was surprised to see the number of people hanging out around the bridge. It was closed off from vehicles but people were still walking across. Considering that I could have reached through the grates at the bottom of the bridge and touched the water there's no way I would walk on it. Unfortunately again I used the film camera. :( As we past by the Amvets and little league diamonds the diamonds were totally under water.

From there we headed home, we had burgers to grill and tator tots to bake. We are thankful for where we live and that our house is high above the river.

No comments: