Friday, April 10, 2009

Friends....

I have realized over the last year that I've had a lot of great friends in my life. As time has gone on, our lives have moved in different directions and I've lost touch with several of them. Others, we talk every once in a while but it's hard to get together. Lately I'm lazy and communicate mostly through email or message boards.

I miss those close friendships. The women that you can call in the middle of the night, just because. Going out for coffee, getting together to watch a movie or just hanging out and talking. The ones that know each other so well that they communicate without words.

Being married without children puts us in a unique situation. No kids to break the ice and become friends with other parents. To old to go to the bar and meet new people. Making friends at work has been a little tense in the last few years.

Recently I've become friends with several ladies online and we are spread across the country. Sometimes I wish that we all lived in the same general area so we could spend time together in person. Instead I rely on scrapbooking retreats to meet up and hang out, staying up late and just talking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm married to my best friend but I'm finding I miss that girl time. Sharing some gossip, talking about trends, hearing about great new products or things *I need to try*.

So my challenge to all my blog readers is where do I go to meet new people and how do I make new friends? I'm so not good at the ice breaking thing. The last friend I met was Miss Martha and she seemed so excited to meet Buddie's Momma. I knew her screen name but I didn't know much about her and she totally broke the ice. =) Surprised Martha?

1 comment:

Martha said...

Aw...thanks Karen!
My friend here in town that is single/kidless has said she enjoys her church community and has met many of friends through that venue. It's a very new age/modern thinking church so she's met some assorted folks but it's been a good place to start where the emphasis is less on kids/more on forming adult relationships.

Perhaps a book club, maybe through your local library? A fun club for those less inclined to reading routinely is a book to movie club: you read a book and then your meeting is where you watch the movie that has been made from that book. Less worry about what to talk about...just have sort of girls night in and watch the flick together.

what I have found is that many people are just as alone as we feel and all it takes is a simple invite to break the ice....suggesting "would you like to meet for coffee next Tuesday?". Being specific and offering up that first invitation. LOTS of people are hesitant to have others in their home, so try meeting somewhere neutral.

But, if that person strikes you as weird after that first invite...RUN, chances are good, they'll only get stranger as time goes on. Trust me on this one...being somewhat of the experienced one here in our CO neighborhood on reaching out to the newbie, and discovering...um, there are some odd balls out there!