Monday, January 11, 2010

Recipe: Ham Loaf

This is one of our favorite meals and Boyd loves to use leftovers for cold sandwiches. It's very easy to put together at the last minute.

Ham Loaf:
1 lb ham loaf*
1 egg
1/2 C corn flake crumbs

Topping:
1/2 C brown sugar
2 Tbsp vinegar
3/4 C ketchup

Gently beat the egg and add the corn flake crumbs and mix well. Mix the egg mixture with the ham loaf. Press into a lightly greased glass pan - we use an oval almost 8x10. Mix the topping well and spread evenly over the top of the ham loaf. Bake at 350* for 35-40 mins.

* Ham Loaf is something we are able to purchase from the meat counter at Fareway. They may not have it every week but it's there periodically. Basically it's ground up ham. I'm thinking next time there's a good sale on ham we need to buy one and grind it ourselves.

Other information:
- We have frozen the baked product and it reheats very well.
- I have made this into ham balls and it's very good. It's just easier for me to make the loaf.
- We have made it in the microwave and it turns out fine. Bake on high for 15 mins. Add topping and baking for 5 mins.

Happy Cooking!
Karen

2 comments:

Janiece said...

We love this one too! Dave was just saying today he should make it again. Thanks for giving me the recipe at my shower!

Martha said...

I'm going to go look at the recipe I have. My grandma used to make this all the time and I loved it. I'm guessing between the shared Germanic heritage and being from the same mid-west region, the two recipes are pretty darn close.

Sadly, I'm the only ham lover in the family!