I was shocked to hear reports that the river in my town was not going to rise after Friday night. Something just seemed off with that report considering the big town south of us was reporting a crest on Sunday morning. Not surprising to me the river rose all weekend, and I think crested this afternoon.
Boyd took me around town to show me the sites.
This was my first glimpse of the river - I like the contrast between the water and the ice.

We drove along the river and the ski club was totally under water. It was up to the road in some places but not over. Thank goodness.
Next up was the area before the dam. I was shocked to see the crashing waves as the water went over the dam.

Usually there is a cement wall - where the line is at the bottom of the picture. On the other side of the wall there is a sand bar that people will walk out to and fish from and the wall is much taller than a person.
Then we headed to the Green bridge. I was scared when we went over it last night and today wasn't any better. It's not the best picture I know but under all of that water is a park where people play disc golf.

This is the road to my house, the people who live here built a new house after the flooding in 2008. It looked like the water was up to their back door. This is a picture of one of their out buildings.

Now we're back to where we started. The grass is usually well above the water line.

Seeing this much water after the historic 2008 flooding is just scary. Makes me wonder what the rest of spring will bring. I hope that the changes they've made in my town will improve things for most people and not put the SE corner of town in more danger.
No comments:
Post a Comment