Monday, February 8, 2010

Recipe: Spinach Manicotti

I have been craving manicotti and was planning to make it over the weekend. Instead I made it tonight after work based on a recipe I found at Betty Crocker dot com. I had different ingredients so it's not an exact match.

Spinach Manicotti

1 box (12 noodles) Barilla Lasagne noodles rolled flat like home made (these are so good!)
2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian blend cheese
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 container (15 oz) cottage cheese
1 box (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach. Thawed, drained & squeezed dry.
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 jar (25 oz) favorite pasta sauce. I used Hunts traditional spaghetti sauce

1. Preheat oven to 375*. Cook pasta 5-6 mins until tender but not done.
2. Saute the spinach and garlic.
3. In medium bowl mix 1 1/2 C shredded cheese, red pepper flakes, spinach, garlic and egg. Mix well.
4. In bottom of 9x13 pan spread 1 Cup of pasta sauce. Spoon cheese and spinach mix in the noodle length wise. Roll and place in pan. Top with pasta sauce.
5. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30-40 mins. Remove foil and top with remaining cheese. Cook for 5 mins.

This recipe rates a 9 according to our 10 point scale. Definitely a keeper! We thought it needed more cheese on top. The spices were perfect, I was afraid it would be to spicy but it was just right. Next time I might make it with some shredded Parmesan in the mix.

No comments: