Wednesday, November 19, 2008

19th Day of Thanksgiving

Today I'm grateful for music.

The last two weeks have been filled with Christmas music. I listen to it on the way to work and I've ripped my favorite albums to my PC at work so I can listen to it there too.

It seems like music has always been part of my life. Mom loved to listen to her 78 records - and the Sunday morning/afternoon music hour when they played songs from the 1950-70s. Mom always did the washing and Tom and I shared the drying. We had to finish the Sunday dinner dishes before we could go out to play or sit down and watch the Minnesota Vikings game.

Back to the music, I tried out for band at the end of fourth grade. I sat down with Miss. Blake and said I wanted to play the flute. She said, "But you have nice fat fingers. They are the best for playing the clarinet." And that's where my career began. I stayed with it through college and played in a couple of summer bands. Over time it was one of the things I let go. Some days I miss it - I tried out for the summer band 4 years ago and realized I've forgotten 3/4 of what I ever knew. Maybe someday I'll make it back to playing.

No comments: